Thursday 11 August 2016

Indigo Shadow: Page Forty-Three

“It’s not fully functional yet,” Wendy said. “There’s a few things I want to tweak and I’ve been trying to work out a way to get some ballistic protection for it without leaving a trail by ordering it online.” She gave her step-brother a grin. “And you did the ridiculously complex software for it so if I have a superpower so do you.”

“Wait,” Sienna said. “You’re actually planning to go out and fight crime in that?”

“Yes,” she said. “Well more try and be a deterrent. It doesn’t have any weapons. I don’t want to break any laws.”

“You’re mad,” Sienna said.

“Maybe,” Wendy said. “But someone has to do something. The police are too reactive. Especially now. For heaven’s sake, Sienna, there are people running around shooting people in broad daylight and getting away with it.”

“Yes, but you didn’t know that when you started building it,” Martin said. “We’ve hardly got the highest crime rates in Britain here.”

“They’re bad enough,” Wendy said. “If me walking around in this will enable to scare off the rapists and muggers it’ll help.” Her expression tightened. “And if I can stop those men we saw yesterday that’s even better.”

Sienna continued staring at Wendy in disbelief. She could believe her friend might have built something like this just to see if she could, but she actually intended to use it?

“You’ll be arrested,” she said finally. “I’m pretty sure walking around in some sort of power armour is illegal.”

“Not if I don’t get caught,” Wendy said. “But I don’t think it is – no one has thought to ban it yet.”

“How do you intend to not get caught?” Sienna asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment